Top 10 Longest Words in English Language
There are a whole lot of longest words in English language. I’m sure you will be curious to know the longest words in English language. Don’t worry, it is just a few paragraphs away.
The longest word in English language dictionary is 45 letters and it is a disease caused by inhalation of very fine silicate or quartz dust. The second-longest word in english language is 36 letters and it means the fear of long words. Can you imagine?
10. The Tenth longest word in English language is Incomprehensibilities. Impossible to comprehend. In the 1990s, incomprehensibilities set the record as the longest word “in common usage.”
9. The ninth longest word in English language is Dichlorodifluoromethane. It is 23 letters and it simply means A chlorofluoromethane CF2Cl2.
8. The eighth longest word in English language is Thyroparathyroidectomized.
Thyroparathyroidectomized is 25 words and it stands for excision of both the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
7. The seventh longest word in English language is Honorificabilitudinitatibus.
Honorificabilitudinitatibus is 27 letters and is the dative and ablative plural of the mediaeval Latin word honorificabilitudinitas, which can be translated as “the state of being able to achieve honours”.
6. The sixth longest word in English language is Antidisestablishmentarianism.
Antidisestablishmentarianism is 28 letters and it means opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England.
5. The fifth longest word in English language is Floccinaucinihilipilification
Floccinaucinihilipilification is 29 letters and it is the action or habit of estimating something as worthless.
4. The fourth longest word in English language is Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism.
Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism is 30 letters and Pseudo-hypothyroidism (PHP) is a rare genetic disorder that manifests itself in the form of disturbances of phosphorus and calcium metabolism due to parathyroid hormone (PTH) resistance.
3. The Third longest word in English language is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is 34 letters and it is is something to say when you have nothing to say. That’s the meaning of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
2. The Second longest word in English language is Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is 36 letters and it stands for the fear of long words.
1. The Longest Word in English language is Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is 45 letters and it means a lung disease caused by inhaling very fine ash and sand dust.
NOTE: The main longest word in English language is: Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylargi… (189,819 letters)
Did you know? Most of the longest words in English language are related to Medicine or Chemistry. Now you know.
I know you don’t need it to pass JAMB English. But hope you found this fun and useful? Don’t fail to comment or share with others.
- UNIBEN Orders Students to resume, Cancels N20,000 Late Registration fee - September 18, 2021
- Post-UTME: List Of Schools Selling Forms 2021/2022 - September 17, 2021
- NECO GCE Form and Registration Details for Nov/Dec SSCE 2021 - September 16, 2021